Chicagoland speech therapy
I hope to blog about once per week with helpful tips, resources, and the latest research for parents/caregivers. I am always being asked what MORE parents can do for their children! Here are my top ten tips:
1) Stay in constant contact with everyone working with your child at school (this includes the classroom teacher, resource teacher, SLP, social worker, etc.) Develop a communication plan with this team early in the school year so that you know what is going on daily, weekly, monthly and not just once a quarter when it's time to update the IEP.
2) The IEP is rarely enough. If you can do so try to supplement the services your child is getting at school with outside therapy.
3) If your child does not receive/qualify for services at school, but your gut tells you that perhaps they need some assistance seek an outside evaluation from a professional.
4) Don't be shy! Ask your child's SLP what to work on at home. Ask for homework. Ask to sit in on a session.
5) Practicing doesn't have to be at a set time every day. Find moments throughout your day when you can work on speech and language. Driving in the car? Grocery shopping? At the playground? Ask your SLP for advice on how to work on your child's goals during the day.
6) Read! Expose your child to as much language as possible through the wonderful world of books.
7) Talk, talk, talk! Talk to your child through out the day. Ask questions, tell stories, comment on the environment.
8) Play! Pretend play, board games, sports. Most playing involves language and promotes language use!
9) Expose your child to new activities and environments that will promote language. New parks, the zoo, storytime at the library.
Take pictures if you can and review and discuss the experience at home afterwards!
10)You've heard it before....I'll say it again. Limit TV watching. Spend more time outdoors, set up play dates with peers, listen to music, have toys, books, and art materials handy so that your child always has something to do that will promote language.
Alexandria Zachos is the founder of SB (Social Butterfly Inc.) Speech Therapy. She has been a practicing Speech Language Pathologist for over 12 years.